Series 1 Episode 1
When Rose Tyler meets a mysterious stranger called the Doctor, she realises that her life will never be the same again. But soon she discovers that her mum, her boyfriend, and the whole of Planet Earth are in danger, and the only hope for salvation lies inside a strange blue box...
||16 EXT. CITY SHOPPING CENTRE NIGHT 1 1808
ROSE, still holding the plastic arm, runs onto the main street, but slows down to a halt. Running feels daft, faced with the sheer normality of it all. Her POV: A few late SHOPPERS, PEOPLE waiting for a bus. A taxi scorches past, blaring its horn. The real world.
She's lost: did any of that really happen? She lifts up the plastic arm, looks at it. And, behind her, the roof of the store explodes - a ball of flame.
WIDE SHOT: burning debris falling to the ground, people running, cars screeching to a halt. Alarms go off, screams (no on hurt, just panic). And in the middle of the chaos, Rose just stands there, numb. Holding the arm.
- This episode introduces the characters of Rose Tyler, Jackie Tyler and Mickey Smith, played by Billie Piper, Camille Coduri and Noel Clarke.
- This episode is a first for Doctor Who in that it focuses heavily on the companion, in this case Rose, rather than the Doctor himself. This was a deliberate choice made by head writer Russell T Davies, who wrote the episode from Rose's point of view so new audiences could learn about the Doctor as Rose did.
- There was so much demand to see this episode in the weeks leading up to its transmission that, on Saturday 5th March 2005, one employee working for CBC in Canada leaked the entire thing online. It was removed soon after, of course, and the person responsible had his/her employment (ex)terminated.
- The BBC commissioned a second series of Doctor Who, as well as a Christmas Special, on the strength of this episode's viewing figures alone (10m).
- The book the Doctor speed-reads in Rose's flat is 'The Lovely Bones' by Alice Sebold. According to him, it has a very sad ending!
- In the scene where Rose is questioning the Doctor after they leave her flat, the garages in the background had to be airbrushed because swear words had been graffitied on them.
- Clive: The Doctor is a legend, woven throughout history. When disaster comes, he's there. He brings a storm in his wake, and has one constant companion.
Rose: Who's that?
- The Doctor: It's like when you're a kid. The first time they tell you that the world is turning, and you just can't believe it because everything looks like it's standing still. I can feel it. The turn of the earth. The ground beneath our feet is spinning at a thousand miles an hour, the entire planet is hurtling around the sun at sixty-seven thousand miles per hour, and I can feel it. We're falling through space, you and me, clinging to the skin of this tiny little world, and if we let go... That's who I am. Now forget me, Rose Tyler.
- Rose: I've got no job. No A-Levels. No future. But I'll tell you what I have got. Jericho Street Junior School, under 7-'s gymnastic team - I got the bronze!
- Rose: Who are you?
The Doctor: Told you. I'm the Doctor.
Rose: Yeah, but Doctor what?
The Doctor: Just the Doctor.
Rose: 'The Doctor'?
The Doctor: Hello!
Rose: Is that supposed to sound impressive?
The Doctor: Sort of, yeah.
Doctor Who Series 1, Volume 1
Buy online: Amazon
Written by: Russell T Davies
Directed by: Keith Boak
First transmitted on: Saturday 26th March 2005
Running Time: 45 minutes
Setting: London, over two days (5th-6th March 2005)
Filming: Cardiff and London, July-August 2004
- Jackie Tyler (Camille Coduri)
- Mickey Smith (Noel Clarke)
- Clive (Mark Benton)
- Caroline (Elli Garnett)
- Clive's son (Adam McCoy)
- Nestene Voice (Nicholas Briggs)
Viewing Figures: 10.81million