Bad Wolf (Part I)
Series 1 Episode 12
The Doctor, Rose and Jack have to fight for their lives on board the Game Station, but a far more dangerous threat is lurking, just out of sight. Soon, the Doctor realises that the entire human race has been blinded to the threat that hangs right on it's doorstep, and Armageddon is fast approaching...
Rose suddenly chilled.
ROSE What d'you mean, who's Bad Wolf?
RODRICK They're in charge, they run the Game Station.
ROSE But why are they called Bad Wolf?
RODRICK I dunno, it's just a name, it's like an Old Earth nusery-rhyme sort of thing, what does it matter?
CU Rose, looking to the distance:
ROSE I keep hearing those words. Everywhere we go. Bad Wolf...
CUT TO rapid, snatched images - flashbacks, not new footage:
ep.3, Gwnyeth scared, saying, 'The Big Bad Wolf' -
ep.4, the words BAD WOLF graffiti'd on to the TARDIS -
ep.6, Van Statten's helicopter: 'Bad Wolf One descending' -
ep.7, CU TV screen on Floor 139, Badwolf TV -
ep.10 Written on Captain Jack's bomb, Schlechter Wolf -
ep.11, the BLAIDD DRWG banner, the Doctor saying 'Bad Wolf' -
CUT BACK TO to Rose, lost in thought.
ROSE Different times, different places. Like it's written across the universe.
RODRICK What's that supposed to mean?
ROSE I don't know. But if the Bad Wolf is in charge of the quiz, then maybe I'm not here by mistake. Someone's been planning this...
- Part one of a two-part story.
- A working title for this episode was 'Gameshow World'.
- The title of this episode was kept secret for as long as possible, and it was referred to as 'The Parting of the Ways - Part I' until close to its transmission.
- The arc-word for Series 2 is introduced in this episode. Rose is asked a question during The Weakest Link about what Old Earth instituation was built on the Great Cobalt Pyramid, the answer to which is Torchwood.
- Anne Droid: So tell me Rose, what do you do?
Rose: Um, well... I just travel about, bit of a tourist, I suppose.
Anne Droid: Is that another way of saying unemployed?
Anne Droid: Have you got a job?
Rose: Well, not really, no...
Anne Droid: Then you are unemployed. And yet you've still got enough money to buy peroxide.
- Lynda: She's been evicted. From life.
- The Doctor: And you watch this stuff?
Lynda: Everyone does. How come you don't?
The Doctor: I never paid for my license.
Lynda: Oh my God, you get executed for that!
The Doctor: Let them try.
- Anne Droid: Rose, in fashion, Stella Pok Paint is famous for what?
Rose: Um... shoes?
Anne Droid: No, the correct answer is hats.
- Captain Jack: But that's impossible. I recognise those ships. They were destroyed!
The Doctor: Obviously they survived.
Lynda: Who did? Who are they?
The Doctor: Two hundred of them. More than two thousand on board each one. That's just about half a million of them.
Male Programmer: Half a million what?
The Doctor: Daleks.
- Dalek #1: We have your associate. You will obey or she will die.
- The Doctor: No, 'cause this is what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna rescue her. I'm gonna save Rose Tyler from the middle of the Dalek Fleet, and then I'm gonna save the Earth. And then, just to finish off, I'm gonna wipe every last stinking Dalek out of the sky!
- Daleks: Exterminate! Exterminate! Exterminate!
Doctor Who Series 1, Volume 4
Buy online: Amazon
Written by: Russell T Davies
Directed by: Joe Ahearne
First transmitted on: Saturday 11th June 2005
Running Time: 45 minutes
Setting: The Game Station, in the year 200,100.
Filming for this episode (and Part II
) took place in Cardiff.
- Jack Harkness (John Barrowman)
- Lynda Moss (Jo Joyner)
- Strood (Jamie Bradley)
- Crosbie (Abi Enoila)
- Voice of Davina Droid (Davina McCall)
- Rodrick (Paterson Joseph)
- Floor Manager (Jenna Russell)
- Voice of Anne Droid (Anne Robinson)
- Voice of Trine-e (Trinny Woodwall)
- Voice of Zu-Zana (Susannah Constantine)
- Male Programmer (Jo Stone-Fewings)
- Female Programmer (Nisha Nayar)
- Agorax (Dominic Burgess)
- Fitch (Karren Winchester)
- Colleen (Kate Loustau)
- Broff (Sebastian Armesto)
- Controller (Martha Cope)
- Security Guard (Sam Callkis)
- Androids (Alan Ruscoe & Paul Kasey)
- Voice of the Daleks (Nicholas Briggs)
Viewing Figures: 6.81million