World War Three (Part II)
Series 1 Episode 5
With the Doctor, Rose and Harriet Jones trapped inside Downing Street, the world edges towards mankinds first Interplanetary War. But the real danger is much closer to home, and as the Doctor, Rose and Harriet race against time to unmask the villainous Slitheen, only Jackie and Mickey, hold the key to salvation. Can the missiles be stopped?
JACKIE Well I've got a question, if you don't mind. 'Cause since that man walked into our lives, I've been attacked in the street, I've had creatures from the pits of hell in my own living room, and I've had my daughter disappear off the face of the Earth -
ROSE I told you what happened -
JACKIE I'm talking to him! 'Cause I've seen this life of yours, Doctor, and maybe you get off on it, maybe you think it's all clever and smart, but you tell me, just answer me this. Is my daughter safe?
ROSE I'm fine.
JACKIE Is she safe? Will she always be safe, can you promise me that?
Rose, Harriet, eyes on the Doctor; even Rose wondering. Then he looks up, at Rose. She holds his stare. Silence.
- Part two of a two-part story.
- A working title for this episode was '10 Downing Street'.
- When a Slitheen disguised as a policeman arrives at Mickey's flat, the word 'Salford' can be seen graffitied on the wall next to the elevator. This is an in-joke put in by producers, as Salford is Christopher Eccleston's hometown.
- The Doctor: Good lad. Graffiti that again and I'll have you, now beat it.
- The Doctor: You're just not ready. You're happy to believe in something invisible, but if it's staring you in the face - nope, can't see it! There's a scientific explanation for that. You're thick.
- Rose: I wish I had a compression field, I could fit a size smaller.
- Harriet: It would help if we knew what the Slitheen wanted. Look at me! I'm saying 'Slitheen' like it's normal.
- Joe: (burps) I'm getting poisoned by the gas exchange, I need to be naked.
- Harriet: Harriet Jones, MP for Flydale North.
The Doctor: Nice to meet you.
Doctor Who Series 1, Volume 2
Buy online: Amazon
Written by: Russell T Davies
Directed by: Keith Boak
First transmitted on: Saturday 23rd April 2005
Running Time: 45 minutes
Setting: London, one year after Rose left with the Doctor, making the date March 6th 2006. By Rose's timeline, the story begins on the fifth day she's known the Doctor. At the end of this episode, when the Doctor and Rose leave in the TARDIS, it's the next day (March 7th 2006).
Filming for this episode (and Part I
) took place in Cardiff.
- Jackie Tyler (Camille Coduri)
- Mickey Smith (Noel Clarke)
- Harriet Jones (Penelope Wilton)
- Margaret Blaine (Annette Badland)
- General Asquith (Rupert Vansittart)
- Sergeant Price (Morgan Hopkins)
- Andrew Marr (Himself)
- Joseph Green (David Verrey)
- Strickland (Steve Spiers)
- Reporter (Jack Tarlton)
- Reporter #2 (Lachele Carl)
- Spray Painter (Corey Doabe)
Viewing Figures: 7.89million