The Pandorica Opens (Part I)
Series 5 Episode 12
The Doctor's friends unite to send him a terrible warning; the Pandorica - which is said to contain the most feared being in all the cosmos - is opening. But just who, or what, is inside, and can the Doctor stop it?
- Part one of a two-part story.
- In this episode, it is established that the Pandorica, previously believed by the Doctor to be nothing more than a fairytale, is a prison created by his enemies who, having seen the cracks throughout the universe, have formed an alliance to stop him from ultimately destroying the whole of reality. The alliance includes the Daleks, the Cybermen, the Sontarans, the Silurians, the Hoix, the Autons and the Judoon (to name a few!).
- Bracewell: (About Van Gogh's painting) It was found behind the wall in an attic in France. It's genuine. It's a Van Gogh.
Churchill: Why bring it to me?
Bracewell: Because it's obviously a message, and you can see who it's for.
Churchill: Can't say I understand it.
Bracewell: You're not supposed to understand it, Prime Minister. You're supposed to deliver it.
- Liz Ten: This is the Royal Collection, and I'm the bloody Queen. What are you doing here?
River Song: It's about the Doctor, Ma'am. You met him once, didn't you? I know he came here.
Liz Ten: The Doctor!
River Song: He's in trouble. I need to find him.
Liz Ten: Then why are you stealing a painting?
River Song: Look at it. I need to find the Doctor, and I need to show him this.
- Amy: Right place?
The Doctor: Just followed the coordinates on the cliff face.
Earth. Britain. 1:02AM. No... PM. No... AD.
Amy: That's a Roman Legion!
The Doctor: Well, yeah. The Romans invaded Britain several times during this period.
Amy: Oh, I know. My favourite topic at school. Invasion of the hot Italians! Yeah, I did get marked down for the title...
- River Song: Hello, sweetie!
- The Doctor: You graffitied the oldest cliff face in the universe.
River Song: You wouldn't answer your phone!
- The Doctor: (About the painting) Does it have a title?
River Song: 'The Pandorica Opens'.
- Amy: The Pandorica? What is it?
River Song: A box. A cage. A prison. It was built to contain the most feared thing in all the universe.
The Doctor: And it's a fairytale, a legend. It can't be real!
River Song: If it is real, it's here and it's opening. And it's got something to do with your TARDIS exploding.
- The Doctor: If you buried the most dangerous thing in the universe, you'd want to remember where you put it.
- Amy: Ok, this Pandorica thing... Last time we saw you, you warned us about it after we climbed out of the Byzantium.
River Song: Spoilers!
Amy: No, but you told the Doctor you'd see him again when the Pandorica opens.
River Song: Maybe I did. But I haven't yet. But I will have.
- The Doctor: If the Pandorica is here, it contains the mightiest warrior in history. Now, half the galaxy would want a piece of that, maybe even fight over it.
- The Doctor: It's a Pandorica.
River Song: More than just a fairytale.
- The Doctor: There was a goblin. Or a trickster, or a warrior. A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: How did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairytales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairytales. They always turn out to be him.
Amy: So, it's kind of like Pandora's Box then? Almost the same name.
The Doctor: I'm sorry, what?
Amy: The story. Pandora's Box, with all the worst things in the world in it? That was my favourite book when I was a kid.
- The Doctor: Your favourite school topic, your favourite story. Never ignore a coincidence. Unless you're busy, in which case, always ignore a coincidence.
- The Doctor: Anyone can break into a prison, but I'd rather know what I'm going to find first!
- The Doctor: The stones! These stones are great big transmitters, broadcasting a warning to everyone, everywhere, to every time zone. The Pandorica is opening!
River Song: Doctor... everyone, everywhere?
The Doctor: Even poor Vincent heard it in his dreams, but what's in there? What could justify all this?
River Song: Doctor, everyone?
The Doctor: Anything that powerful I'd know about it. Why don't I know!?
Song: Doctor, you said everyone could hear it. So who else is coming?
The Doctor: Oh.
- River Song: Around this planet, there are at least 10,000 starships.
Amy: At least?
River Song: 10,000... 10,000... 1,000,000, I don't know! There's too many readings.
The Doctor: What kind of starships?
- Amy: Daleks. Those are Daleks!
- The Doctor: Yes. Ok... Ok... Ok. Ok! Dalek fleet. Minimum, 12,000 battleships, armed to the teeth. But we've got surprise on our side! They'll never expect three people to attack 12,000 Dalek battleships, 'cause we'd be killed instantly. So it'd be a fairly short surprise. Forget surprise.
- River Song: Dalek ships and Cyber-ships!
The Doctor: Well, we need to start a fight, turn them on each other. I mean, that's easy, it's the Daleks.
They're so cross!
- The Doctor: Sontarans! Talk about cross, who stole all their handbags?
River Song: Terileptil... Slitheen... Chelonian... Nestene... Drahvin... Sycorax... Haemo-goth... Zygon... Atraxi... Draconian... They're all here. For the Pandorica.
- River Song: Doctor, listen to me. Everything that ever hated you is coming here tonight. You can't win this. You can't even fight it! Doctor, this once, just this one time, please, you have to run!
The Doctor: Run where!?
River Song: Fight how!?
- The Doctor: The greatest military machine in the history of the universe.
Amy: What is? The Daleks?
The Doctor: No, no, no. The Romans!
- Amy: So what's this got to do with the TARDIS?
The Doctor: Nothing, as far as I know.
Amy: But Vincent's painting. The TARDIS was exploding. Is that gonna happen?
The Doctor: One problem at a time.
- Amy: What good is half an hour?
The Doctor: There are fruit flies on Hoppledom 6 that live for 20 minutes, and they don't even mate for life. (Pause) There was going to be a point to that... I'll get back to you.
- The Doctor: People fall out of the world sometimes, but they always leave traces. Little things we can't quite account for. Faces in photographs, luggage, half eaten meals, rings... Nothing is ever forgotten, not completely. And if something can be remembered, it can come back.
- The Doctor: Remember that night you flew away with me?
Amy: Of course I do.
The Doctor: And you asked me why I was taking you and I told you there wasn't a reason. I was lying.
Amy: What, so... you did have a reason?
The Doctor: Your house.
Amy: My house.
The Doctor: It was too big, too many empty rooms. Does it ever bother you, Amy, that your life doesn't make any sense?
- The Doctor: It could be bluffing.
Amy: Bluffing!? It's an arm!
- Cyberman: You will be assimilated.
Amy: Yeah? You and whose body?
- The Doctor: I'm missing something obvious, Rory! Something big, something right slap in front of me, I can feel it!
Rory: Yeah, I think you probably are.
The Doctor: I'll get it in a minute.
- The Doctor: Hello again.
The Doctor: How have you been?
Rory: Good, yeah. Good. I mean... Roman.
The Doctor: Rory, I'm not trying to be rude, but you died.
Rory: Yeah, I know. I was there.
- The Doctor: Look at me! No plan, no back-up, no weapons worth a damn, oh, and something else. I don't have anything to lose! So, if you're sitting up there in your silly little spaceships with all your silly little guns, and you've got any plans on taking the Pandorica tonight, just remember who's standing in your way. Remember every black day I ever stopped you! And then, aaaand then, do the smart thing. Let somebody else try first.
- The Doctor: Get some fresh air, you'll be fine.
Amy: Is it safe up there?
The Doctor: Not remotely, but it's fresh.
- Amy: (To Rory) Oh, you're... the guy, yeah? The one who did the... swordy thing.
Amy: Well, thanks. For the swording. Nice swording.
Rory: No problem. Er, my men are up there. They'll look after you.
Amy: Good! Love a Roman.
- Rory: How can she not remember me!?
The Doctor: Because you never existed.
- The Doctor: There are cracks. Cracks in time. There's gonna be a huge explosion in the future, on one particular day, and every other moment in history is cracking around it.
- Rory: So I fell through a crack and now I was never born?
The Doctor: Basically.
- Rory: I was in the cave, with you and Amy. I was dying, and then... I was just here. A Roman soldier. A proper Roman. Head full of Roman... stuff. A whole other life. Just here like... I'd woken up from a dream. Started to think it was a dream. You, and Amy... and Leadworth. Then today, in the camp, the men were talking about the visitors, the girl with the red hair. I thought you'd come back for me, but she can't even remember me!
- The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous, and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles. And that's the theory. 900 years, never seen one yet. But this would do me. Now get upstairs. She's Amy, and she's surrounded by Romans. I'm not sure history can take it.
- River Song: Oh, Doctor. Why do I let you out?
- Amy: What's your name?
Rory: I'm... Rory. What's wrong?
Amy: Nothing. It's just... not what you expect Romans to be called. What's it short for, Roranicus?
- River Song: They're not real, they can't be. They're all right here in the story book, those actual Romans, the ones I sent you, the ones you're with right now. They're all in a book in Amy's house, a children's picture book.
- River Song: It's a trap. It has to be. They used Amy to construct a scenario you'd believe, to get close to you!
- Amy: But I don't know you. I've never seen you before in my life.
Rory: You have! You know you have! It's me!
Amy: Why am I crying!?
Rory: Because you remember me! I came back! You're crying because you remember me!
- The Doctor: You lot, working together. An alliance. How is that possible?
Supreme Dalek: The cracks in the skin of the universe.
Commander Stark: All reality is threatened.
Cyberman: All universes will be deleted.
The Doctor: What? And you've come to me for help?
Commander Stark: No. We will save the universe from you!
The Doctor: From me?
Cyberman: All projections correlate. All evidence concurs. The Doctor will destroy the universe.
The Doctor: No, no, no! You've got it wrong!
Cyberman: The Pandorica was constructed to ensure the safety of the alliance.
Supreme Dalek: A scenario was devised from the memories of your companion.
Commander Stark: A trap the Doctor could not resist.
Supreme Dalek: The cracks in time are the work of the Doctor. It is confirmed.
The Doctor: No, no, no! Not me, the TARDIS! And I'm not in the TARDIS, am I!?
Supreme Dalek: Only the Doctor can pilot the TARDIS.
The Doctor: Please! Listen to me!
Supreme Dalek: You will be prevented.
The Doctor: Total event collapse! Every sun will supernova at every event in history!
The whole universe will never have existed! Please, listen to me!
Cyberman: Seal the Pandorica.
The Doctor: No!
Please! Listen to me! The TARDIS is exploding right now, and I'm the only one who can stop it! Listen to me!
- River Song: I'm sorry, my love.
||DVD & Blu-ray
Doctor Who Series 5, Volume 4
Buy DVD online: Amazon
Buy Blu-ray online: Amazon
Written by: Steven Moffat
Directed by: Toby Haynes
First transmitted on: Saturday 19th June 2010
Running Time: 50 minutes
Setting: Stonehenge (102 AD)/Leadworth (Saturday 26th June 2010)
Scenes on location at Stonehenge were filmed under tight security in February 2010
- Rory Williams (Arthur Darvill)
- River Song (Alex Kingston)
- Edwin Bracewell (Bill Paterson)
- Winston Churchill (Ian McNeice)
- Vincent Van Gogh (Tony Curran)
- Liz Ten (Sophie Okonedo)
- Madame Vernet (Chrissie Cotterill)
- Doctor Gachet (Howard Lee)
- Guard (Joe Jacobs)
- Dorium (Simon Fisher Baker)
- Claudio (Marcus O'Donovan)
- Commander (Clive Wood)
- Commander Stark (Christopher Ryan)
- Marcellus (David Fynn)
- Voice of the Daleks/Cybermen (Nicholas Briggs)
- Dalek (Barnaby Edwards)
- Cybermen (Ruari Mears)