The Big Bang (Part II)
Series 5 Episode 13
The Doctor is gone, the TARDIS has been destroyed, and the universe is collapsing. The only hope for all reality lies with a little girl who still believes in the stars.
- Part two of a two-part story.
- Amy: Ok, kid. This is where it gets complicated.
- Rory: So the universe ended. You missed that. In 102 AD. I suppose this means you and I never get born at all. Twice, in my case.
- Rory: The Doctor said the universe was huge and ridiculous, and sometimes there were miracles. I could do with a ridiculous miracle about now.
- The Doctor: Listen, she's not dead. Well, she is dead, but it's not the end of the world. Well, it is the end of the world. Actually, it's the end of the universe.
- The Doctor: You need to get me out of the Pandorica.
Rory: But... you're not in the Pandorica.
The Doctor: Yes I am. Well, I'm not now, but I was back then. Well, back now from your point of view, which is back then from my point of view. Time travel, you can't keep it straight in your head.
- The Doctor: I've got a future. That's nice.
- The Doctor: History has collapsed. Whole races have been deleted from existence. These are just like after-images. Echoes, fossils in time. The footprints of the never-were...
Rory: Er, what does that mean?
The Doctor: Total event collapse. The universe literally never happened.
- Rory: (About Amy) Can you help her? Is there anything you can do?
The Doctor: Yeah, probably. If I had the time.
Rory: The time!?
The Doctor: All of creation has just been wiped from the sky. Do you know how many lives now never happened, all the people who never lived? Your girlfriend isn't more important than the whole universe.
Rory: She is to me!
- The Doctor: Memories are more powerful than you think, and Amy Pond is not an ordinary girl. Grew up with a time crack in her wall, the universe pouring through her dreams every night.
- Rory: Whoa, whoa, whoa, what are you doing!?
The Doctor: Saving her. This box is the ultimate prison. You can't even escape by dying. It forces you to stay alive.
Rory: But she's already dead.
The Doctor: Well, she's
mostly dead. The Pandorica can statis-lock her that way. All it needs now is a scan of her living DNA and it'll restore her.
Rory: Where's it going to get that?
The Doctor: In about 2,000 years.
- Amy: Where am I? Hang on... National Museum, right? I was here once when I was a little... (Pause) Yeah. Complicated.
- Amelia: Who are you?
Amy: It's a long story.
- Rory: This box needs a guard. I killed the last one.
The Doctor: No, Rory. No. Don't even think about it.
Rory: She'll be all alone!
The Doctor: She won't feel it.
Rory: You bet she won't!
The Doctor: 2,000 years,
Rory. You won't even sleep. You'd be conscious every second, it would drive you mad!
- The Doctor: Why do you have to be so... human?
Rory: Because right now, I'm not.
- The Doctor: Come along, Ponds!
- Amy: What are we doing?
The Doctor: Well, we're running into a dead end, where I'll have a brilliant plan that basically involves not being in one.
- Stone Dalek: Scans indicate intruder unarmed.
Rory: Do you think?
- The Doctor: (As Amy and Rory kiss) And break! And breathe! Well, somebody didn't get out much for 2,000 years.
Amelia: I'm thirsty. Can I get a drink?
The Doctor: Oh, it's all mouths today, isn't it!?
- The Doctor: So, 2,000 years. How'd you do?
Rory: Kept out of trouble.
The Doctor: Oh. How?
- The Doctor: Vortex manipulator - cheap and nasty time travel. Very bad for you. I'm trying to give it up.
- The Doctor: We're all just hanging on at the eye of the storm. But the eye is closing, and if we don't do something fast, reality will never have happened. Today, just dying is a result.
- Stone Dalek: Restore! Restore!
- Amy: What, it's morning already? How did that happen?
The Doctor: History is shrinking. Is anybody listening to me? Universe is collapsing. We don't have much time left.
- The Doctor: Hi, honey. I'm home.
River: And what sort of time do you call this?
- River: I dated a Nestene duplicate once - swappable head, it did keep things fresh.
- River: What in the name of sanity have you got on your head?
The Doctor: It's a fez. I wear a fez now. Fezes are cool.
- River: Doctor, you're being completely ridiculous! The Pandorica partially restored one Dalek. If it can't even reboot a single life form properly, how's it going to reboot the whole of reality?
The Doctor: What if we give it a moment of infinite power? What if we can transmit the light from the Pandorica to every particle of space and time simultaneously?
River: Well, that would be lovely, dear, but we can't, because it's completely impossible.
The Doctor: Ah, no, you see, it's not. It's almost completely impossible. One spark is all we need.
River: For what!?
The Doctor: Big Bang Two!
- Stone Dalek: Records indicate you will show mercy. You are an associate of the Doctor's!
River: I'm River Song. Check your records again.
Stone Dalek: Mercy!
River: Say it again.
Stone Dalek: Mercy!
River Song: One more time.
Stone Dalek: Mercy!
- Amy: (About the Doctor) But he was dead!
River: Who told you that?
Amy: He did!
River: Rule one. The Doctor lies.
Amy: Where's the Dalek?
River: It died.
- Rory: (About the Doctor) Why did he tell us he was dead?
Amy: We were a diversion. Long as the Dalek was chasing us, he could work down here.
- River: If you threw the Pandorica into the explosion, right into the heart of the fire...
Amy: Then what?
River: Then let there be light.
- River: (About the Doctor) He's going to fly the Pandorica into the heart of the explosion.
- Rory: Are you ok?
Amy: Are you?
Amy: Well, shut up then!
- Amy: So, what happens here? Big Bang Two? What happens to us?
River: We all wake up where we ought to be. None of this ever happens
and we don't remember it.
- River: (About the Doctor) He wants to talk to you before he goes.
Amy: Not to you?
River: He doesn't really know me yet. Now he never will.
- Amy: Hi.
The Doctor: Amy Pond. The girl who waited. All night in your garden. Was it worth it?
Amy: Shut up. Of course it was.
- The Doctor: There was a crack in time in the wall of your bedroom, and it's been eating away at your life for a long time now. Amy Pond, all alone. The girl who didn't make sense. How could I resist?
- The Doctor: Try and remember your family and they'll be there.
Amy: How can I remember them if they never existed!?
The Doctor: Because you're special. That crack in your wall, all that time. The universe pouring into your head. You brought Rory back, you can bring them back, too. You just remember, and they'll be there.
Amy: You won't.
The Doctor: You'll have your family back. You won't need your imaginary friend anymore.
- The Doctor: Amy Pond, crying over me, eh? Guess what?
The Doctor: Gotcha.
- The Doctor: (To Amelia) It's funny. I thought if you could hear me, I could hang on somehow. Silly me. Silly old Doctor. When you wake up, you'll have a mum and dad, and you won't even remember me. Well, you'll remember me a little. I'll be a story in your head. But that's ok. We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh? 'Cause it was, you know. It was the best! A daft old man who stole a magic box and ran away. Did I ever tell you that I stole it? Well, I borrowed it. I was always going to take it back. Oh, that box, Amy. You'll dream about that box. It'll never leave you. Big and little at the same time. Brand new and ancient. And the bluest blue ever. And the times we had, eh? Would've had... Never had. In your dreams, they'll still be there. The Doctor and Amy Pond. And the days that never came.
- The Doctor: (To Amelia) I don't belong here anymore. I think I'll skip the rest of the rewind. I hate repeats. Live well. Love Rory. Bye bye, Pond.
- Amy: (On the phone) Do you feel like you've forgotten something really important? Do you feel like there's a great big thing in your head, and you feel like you should remember it, but you can't?
Rory: ... Yep?
Amy: Are you just saying yes 'cause you're scared of me?
Amy: I love you.
Rory: Yep. Er, I mean... love you too!
- Amy: I remember you! I remember! I brought the others back, I can bring you home too! Raggedy man, I remember you, and you are late for my wedding! I found you. I found you in words, like you knew I would. That's why you told me the story. The brand new, ancient blue box. Oh, clever. Very clever!
Rory: Amy, what is it?
Amy: Something old. Something new. Something borrowed. Something blue.
- Rory: How did we forget the Doctor? I was plastic. He was the stripper at my stag. Long story.
- Amy: Did I surprise you this time?
The Doctor: Er, yeah. Completely astonished. Never expected that.
- The Doctor: Hello, everyone! I'm Amy's imaginary friend. But I came anyway.
Amy: You absolutely definitely may kiss the bride.
The Doctor: Amelia! From now on, I shall be leaving the kissing duties to the brand new Mr Pond.
Rory: No, I'm not Mr Pond. That's not how it works.
- The Doctor: I only came for the dancing.
- The Doctor: (About Rory) 2,000 years. The boy who waited. Good on you, mate.
- River: Did you dance? Well, you always dance at weddings, don't you?
The Doctor: You tell me.
- The Doctor: Are you married, River?
River: Are you asking?
The Doctor: Yes.
The Doctor: No, hang on.
Did you think I was asking you to marry me, or asking if you were married?
The Doctor: No, but... was that "yes" or "yes"?
- The Doctor: Who are you?
River: You're going to find out very soon now. And I'm sorry. But that's when everything changes.
- Amy: Oi! Where are you off to? We haven't even had a snog in the shrubbery yet...
Amy: Shut up, it's my wedding.
Rory: Our wedding!
- Rory: You just saved the whole of space and time. Take the evening off. Maybe a bit of tomorrow.
The Doctor: Space and time isn't safe yet. The TARDIS exploded for a reason. Something drew the TARDIS to this particular date and blew it up. Why? And why now? The silence, whatever it is, is still out there.
- The Doctor: (On the phone) Hello? Ooh, hello! ... I'm sorry, this is a very bad line. No, no, no, but that's not possible. She was sealed into the Seventh Obelisk. I was at the prayer meeting. ... Well, no, I get that it's important. An Egyptian goddess loose on the Orient Express. In space! Give us a mo. (To Amy and Rory) Sorry, something's come up. This will have to be goodbye.
Amy: Yeah, I think it's goodbye. Do you think it's goodbye?
Rory: Definitely goodbye.
Amy: (To Leadworth) Goodbye! (Pause) Goodbye.
The Doctor: (On the phone) Don't worry about a thing, Your Majesty. We're on our way!
||DVD & Blu-ray
Doctor Who Series 5, Volume 4
Buy DVD online: Amazon
Buy Blu-ray online: Amazon
Written by: Steven Moffat
Directed by: Toby Haynes
First transmitted on: Saturday 26th June 2010
Running Time: 55 minutes
Setting: The National Gallery (1996)/Stonehenge (102 AD)/Leadworth (Saturday 26th June 2010)
- Rory Williams (Arthur Darvill)
- River Song (Alex Kingston)
- Amelia (Caitlin Blackwood)
- Aunt Sharon (Susan Vidler)
- Christine (Frances Ashman)
- Stone Dalek (Barnaby Edwards)
- Dave (William Pretsell)
- Mr Pond (Halco Johnston)
- Tabetha (Karen Westwood)