Victory of the Daleks
Series 5 Episode 3
The Doctor has been summoned by an old friend, but in the Cabinet War Rooms far below the streets of Blitz-torn London, it's his oldest enemy he finds waiting for him. The Daleks are back - but can Winston Churchill really be in league with them?
- This episode marks the return of the Daleks, who were last seen in the Series 4 finale two-parter, The Stolen Earth/Journey's End. In addition, we're introduced to the newly designed paradigm.
- The line "Broadsword to Danny Boy" is a reference to the 1968 WWII spy film Where Eagles Dare.
- As well as writing the episode, Mark Gatiss also appeared as an uncredited Spitfire pilot.
- The Doctor: Ha, every time!
Amy: What's he after?
The Doctor: The TARDIS key, of course.
Churchill: Think of what I could achieve with your remarkable machine, Doctor! The lives that could be saved!
The Doctor: It doesn't work like that.
Churchill: Must I take it by force?
The Doctor: I'd like to see you try.
- Churchill: You're late, by the way.
The Doctor: Late?
Churchill: I rang you a month ago!
The Doctor: Really? Sorry, sorry! It's a Type 40 TARDIS. I'm just running her in.
- Churchill: We stand at a crossroads, Doctor. Quite alone, with our backs to the wall. Invasion is expected daily, so I will grasp with both hands anything that will give us an advantage over the Nazi menace.
The Doctor: Such as...?
- Churchill: What do you think? Quite something, eh?
The Doctor: (To the Dalek) What are you doing here?
Dalek: I am your soldier.
The Doctor: What!?
Dalek: I am your soldier.
The Doctor: Stop this. Stop now! You know who I am. You always know.
Dalek: Your identity is unknown.
- Bracewell: This is one of my Ironsides.
The Doctor: Your what!?
- The Doctor: Amy, tell him!
Amy: Tell him what?
The Doctor: About the Daleks!
Amy: What would I know about the Daleks?
The Doctor: Everything! They invaded your world, remember? Planets in the sky, you don't forget that. Amy, tell me you remember the Daleks.
Amy: Nope... sorry.
The Doctor: That's not possible...
- Dalek: Can I be of assistance?
Amy: Oh, yes. Yes! See, my friend reckons you're dangerous, that you're an alien. Is it true?
Dalek: I am your soldier.
Amy: Yeah, got that bit, love a squaddie!
- The Doctor: Stop this! What are you doing here!? What do you want!?
Dalek: We seek only to help you.
The Doctor: To do what?
Dalek: To win the war.
The Doctor: Really? Which war?
Dalek: I do not understand.
The Doctor: This war, against the Nazis, or your war, the war against the rest of the Universe? The war against all life forms that are not Dalek?
Dalek: I do not understand. I am your soldier.
- The Doctor: I've defeated you time and time again. I've defeated you! I sent you back into the Void! I saved the whole of reality from you! I am the Doctor, and you are the Daleks!
- Amy: What just happened, Doctor?
The Doctor: I wanted to know what they wanted. What their plan was. I was their plan!
- Dalek: Commencing Phase Two. The Progenitor is activiated. It begins!
- Amy: What, so you mean I've got to stay safe down here in the middle of the London Blitz!?
The Doctor: As safe as it gets around me.
- Amy: What does he expect us to do now?
Churchill: K.B.O of course.
Churchill: Keep Buggering On!
- Dalek: We picked up a trace. One of the Progenitor devices.
The Doctor: Progenitor, what's that when it's at home?
Dalek: It is our past, and our future.
The Doctor: Ohhh, that's deep. That is deep for a Dalek.
- The Doctor: Don't mess with me, sweetheart.
- Dalek: Scan reveals nothing. TARDIS self-destruct device non-existant!
The Doctor: All right, it's a Jammy Dodger! But I was promised tea!
- Amy: Hey... Paisley. Ever fancied someone you know you shouldn't?
Amy: Hurts, doesn't it? But kind of a good hurt.
Bracewell: I really shouldn't talk about her.
Amy: Ooh, there's a her?
The Doctor: What was her name?
The Doctor: Dorabella!? It's a lovely name, it's a beautiful name.
Amy: And what was she like, Edward?
Bracewell: Oh, such a smile. And her eyes... Her eyes were so blue. Almost violet. Like the last touch of sunset on the edge of the world. Dorabella...
- The Doctor: I had a choice. And they knew I'd choose the Earth. The Daleks have won. They beat me. They've won.
Amy: But you saved the Earth! Not too shabby, is it? Is it?
The Doctor: No. It's not too shabby...
- Amy: You're worried about the Daleks.
The Doctor: I'm always worried about the Daleks.
Amy: It'll take time though, won't it? I mean, there's still not many of them. They'll need a while to build themselves up.
The Doctor: It's not that. There's something else. Something we've forgotten. Or rather, you have.
The Doctor: You didn't know them, Amy. You'd never seen them before and you should have done. You should.
||DVD & Blu-ray
Doctor Who Series 5, Volume 1
Buy DVD online: Amazon
Buy Blu-ray online: Amazon
Written by: Mark Gatiss
Directed by: Andrew Gunn
First transmitted on: Saturday 17th April 2010
Running Time: 45 minutes
Setting: London, World War II
Filming for this episode took place in Cardiff. Scenes on the rooftop were shot at the top of the Glamorgan Building in August 2009
- Voice of the Daleks (Nicholas Briggs)
- Winston Churchill (Ian McNeice)
- Edwin Bracewell (Bill Paterson)
(Nina de Cosimo)
- Childers (Tim Wallers)
- Dalek 1 (Nicholas Pegg)
- Dalek 2 (Barnaby Edwards)
- Lilian (Susannah Fielding)
- Todd (James Albrecht)
- Air Raid Warden (Colin Prockter)
Know your enemy:
The Daleks are alien mutants trapped inside a metal casing, who were created by Davros. They have no concept of human emotions, such as pity or compassion, and have only one intention - to dominate the entire Universe and make all life forms like them. In this episode, we learn that one ship survived the events of Journey's End
, and that the Daleks on board set out to locate the Progenitor Device, a small capsule containing pure Dalek DNA. The capsule is used to create a new paradigm
of Daleks, consisting of the Strategist, the Scientist, the Eternal, the Drone and the Supreme.