The Time of Angels (Part I)
Series 5 Episode 4
Don't blink - the Weeping Angels return and the Doctor is recruited by Father Octavian to track the last of the statues through the terrifying Maze of the Dead. Meanwhile, the enigmatic River Song re-enters the Doctor's life - but can he trust her?
- Part one of a two-part story.
- This episode reintroduces the Weeping Angels, from Series 3's Blink, and also welcomes the return of another of Steven Moffat's popular creations, River Song, who we first saw in the Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead two-parter in Series 4.
- The Doctor: I love museums!
Amy: Yeah, great! Can we go to a planet now?
- River Song: Like I said on the dance floor, you might want to find something to hang on to!
- River Song: Follow that ship!
- River Song: Use the stabilisers!
The Doctor: It doesn't have any stablisers!
River Song: The blue switches!
The Doctor: The blues ones don't do anything. They're just... blue!
River Song: Yes, they're blue! They're the blue stabilisers!
- Amy: How come you can fly the TARDIS?
River Song: Oh, I had lessons from the very best.
The Doctor: Well, yeah.
River Song: It's a shame you were busy that day.
- Amy: Explain. Who is that and how did she do that museum thing?
The Doctor: It's a long story and I don't know most of it. Off we go!
- The Doctor: I can run away from anything I like. Time is not the boss of me!
- Amy: Aren't you going to introduce us?
The Doctor: Amy Pond, Professor River Song.
River Song: I'm going to be a Professor some day, am I!? How exciting! Spoilers!
- River Song: Doctor, can you sonic me? I need to boost the signal so we can use it as a beacon.
Amy: Ooh, Doctor. You soniced her!
- River Song: Where are we up to? Have we done the Bone Meadows?
Amy: What's the book?
The Doctor: Stay away from it.
Amy: What is it though?
The Doctor: Her diary.
River Song: Our diary!
The Doctor: Her past, my... future. Time travel. We keep meeting in the wrong order.
- River Song: What do you know of the Weeping Angels?
- Amy: You're letting people call you "sir"? You never do that.
- The Doctor: You're still here. Which part of "Wait in the TARDIS until I tell you it's safe" was so confusing?
Amy: Ooh, are you all Mr Grumpy Face today?
- Amy: Is River Song your wife? Because she's someone from your future... and the way she talks to you, I've never seen anyone do that. She's kinda like, you know, "Heel, boy!" She's Mrs Doctor from the future, isn't she?
- Amy: It's just a statue.
River Song: It's a statue when you see it.
- River Song: The Weeping Angels can only move if they're unseen. So legend has it...
The Doctor: No, it's not legend. It's a quantam lock. In the sight of any living creature, the Angels literally cease to exist. They're just stone. The ultimate defence mechanism.
Amy: What, being a stone?
The Doctor: Being a stone... until you turn your back.
- The Doctor: Bishop, lock and load!
- Amy: So, what's a maze of the dead?
River Song: Oh, it's not as bad as it sounds. It's just a labyrinth with dead people buried in the walls. Ok, that was fairly bad.
- Amy: So, what's he like? In the future, I mean. 'Cause you know him in the future, don't you?
River Song: The Doctor? Well, the Doctor's the Doctor.
Amy: Oh. Well... that's very helpful. Mind if I write that down?
- The Doctor: Every statue in this maze, every single one, is a Weeping Angel. They're coming after us.
- Amy: I don't need you to die for me, Doctor, do I look that clingy?
- The Doctor: See! Not stone! Now run!
Amy: You bit me!
The Doctor: Yep, and you're alive!
Amy: I've got a mark, look at my hand!
The Doctor: Yeah, and you're alive, did I mention?
Amy: Blimey, your teeth! Have you got space teeth?
The Doctor: Yeah, alive. All I'm saying.
- The Doctor: There's one thing you never put in a trap if you're smart. If you value your continued existance, if you have any plans about seeing tomorrow, there's one thing you never, ever put in a trap!
Bob: And what would that be, Sir?
The Doctor: Me!
||DVD & Blu-ray
Doctor Who Series 5, Volume 2
Buy DVD online: Amazon
Buy Blu-ray online: Amazon
Written by: Steven Moffat
Directed by: Adam Smith
First transmitted on: Saturday 24th April 2010
Running Time: 45 minutes
Setting: The Crash of the Byzantium, 51st century
The Weeping Angels two-parter was the first story to be filmed for Series 5. Production commenced on 20th July 2009
, with the first day of filming making front page headlines all over the world.
- River Song (Alex Kingston)
- Alistair (Simon Dutton)
- Security Guard (Mike Skinner)
- Octavian (Iain Glen)
- Christian (Mark Springer)
- Angelo (Troy Glasgow)
- Bob (David Atkins)
- Marco (Darren Morfitt)
Know your enemy: The Weeping Angels are a speices of humanoids, thought to be from the early beginnings of the Universe, who gain power by sending their victims back in time and feeding off the potential energy from the days they would of otherwise had. But they can only strike when they aren't seen, and appear to be nothing but ordinary stone statues when you look straight at them. So whatever you do, don't blink!