Flesh and Stone (Part II)
Series 5 Episode 5
The Doctor and his friends are trapped among an army of the terrifying statues, with no way back, no way up and no way out. They must make their way through the wreckage of a crashed space liner in order to escape. Meanwhile, in the forest vault, Amy finds herself facing an even more deadly attack.
- Part two of a two-part story.
- Steven Moffat has revealed that this episode was named by his son.
- Amy: Doctor, what am I looking at!? Explain!
The Doctor: Oh, come on, Amy, think! The ship crashed with the power still on, yeah? So what else is on? The artifical gravity! One good jump, and up we fell.
- The Doctor: (About the Angels) Within an hour, they'll be an army.
- Octavian: Dr Song, I've lost good clerics today. You trust this man?
River Song: I absolutely trust him.
Octavian: He's not some kind of madman then?
River Song: I absolutely trust him.
- The Doctor: I'll need to turn out the lights.
Octavian: How long for?
The Doctor: Fraction of a second. Maybe longer. Maybe quite a bit longer...
The Doctor: Well, I'm guessing. We're being attacked by statues in a crashed ship. There isn't a manual for this!
- Octavian: I'm taking your word, because you're the only one who can manage this guy. But that only works as long as he doesn't know who you are. You cost me any more men, and I might just tell him. Understood?
River Song: Understood.
- Amy: But that's... that's a...
River Song: It's an oxygen factory.
Amy: It's a forest.
River Song: Yeah, it's a forest. It's an oxygen factory.
The Doctor: And, if we're lucky, an escape route.
- The Doctor: You're going to love this!
- The Doctor: A forest in a bottle in a spaceship in a maze. Have I impressed you enough yet, Amy Pond?
- The Doctor: Ah, there you are, Angel Bob. How's life? Sorry. Bad subject.
Angel Bob: The Angels are wondering what you hope to achieve.
The Doctor: Achieve? We're not achieving anything. We're just... hanging. It's nice in here. Consoles... comfy chairs... a forest. How's things with you?
- The Doctor: What have you done to Amy?
Angel Bob: There is something in her eye.
The Doctor: What's in her eye?
Angel Bob: We are.
Amy: What's he talking about!? Doctor, I'm five! I mean, five. Fine! I'm fine.
River Song: You're counting.
The Doctor: You're counting down. From ten.
- Amy: That's... that's like the crack from my bedroom wall from when I was a little girl!
The Doctor: Yes...
- The Doctor: Oh, that's bad. Ah. That's extremely very not good.
- The Doctor: I'll be back for you as soon as I can. I promise.
Amy: You always say that.
The Doctor: I always come back.
- The Doctor: Amy, you need to start trusting me. It's never been more important.
Amy: But you don't always tell the truth.
The Doctor: If I always told you the truth
I wouldn't need you to trust me.
Amy: Doctor, the crack in my wall. How can it be here?
The Doctor: I don't know yet, but I'm working it out. Now, listen. Remember what I told you when you were seven?
Amy: What did you tell me?
The Doctor: No, no... That's not the point. You have to remember.
- Octavian: You can't trust her.
The Doctor: Trust who?
Octavian: River Song. You think you know her, but you don't. You don't understand who or what she is.
- The Doctor: Just tell me why she was in Stormcage?
Octavian: She killed a man. A good man. A hero to many.
The Doctor: Who?
Octavian: You don't want to know, sir. You really don't.
- The Doctor: I wish I'd known you better.
Octavian: I think, sir, you know me at my best.
- The Doctor: You're a time traveller now, Amy. Changes the way you see the Universe. Forever. Good, isn't it?
Amy: And the crack? Is that gone too?
The Doctor: Yeah. For now. But the explosion that caused it is still happening. Somewhere out there. Somewhere in time.
- River Song: You... me... handcuffs. Must it always end this way?
- The Doctor: Octavian said you killed a man.
River Song: Yes, I did.
The Doctor: A good man.
River Song: A very good man. The best man I've ever known.
The Doctor: Who?
River Song: It's a long story, Doctor. Can't be told. It has to be lived. No sneak previews. Well, except for this one. You'll see me again quite soon, when the Pandorica opens.
The Doctor: The Pandorica. Ha! That's a fairytale.
River Song: Oh, Doctor. Aren't we all? I'll see you there.
The Doctor: I look forward to it.
River Song: I remember it well.
Amy: Bye, River.
River Song: See you, Amy.
- The Doctor: Can I trust you, River Song?
River Song: If you like. But where's the fun in that?
- Amy: What are you thinking?
The Doctor: Time can be rewritten.
- Amy: I want to go home.
The Doctor: Ok.
Amy: No, not like that! I just... I just want to show you something. You're running from River. I'm running too.
- Amy: So, do you comfort a lot of people on the night before their wedding?
The Doctor: Why would you need comforting?
Amy: I nearly died! I was alone in the dark, and I nearly died! And it made me think...
The Doctor: Well. Yes. Natural. I think sometimes. Well, lots of times...
Amy: About what I want. About who I want... You know what I mean?
The Doctor: Yeah! (Pause) No.
Amy: About who I want...
The Doctor: Oh, right, yeah. (Pause) No, still not getting it.
Amy: Doctor, in a word, in one very simple word even you can understand!
- The Doctor: You're getting married in the morning!
Amy: Well the morning's a long time away. What are we going to do about that?
The Doctor: Listen to me. I am 907 years old. Do you understand what that means!?
Amy: It's been a while?
- The Doctor: It's you. It's all about you. Everything. It's about you.
Amy: Hold that thought!
The Doctor: Amy Pond. Mad, impossible Amy Pond. I don't know why, I have no idea, but quite possibly the single most important thing in the history of the Universe is that I get you sorted out right now.
Amy: That's what I've been trying to tell you!
||DVD & Blu-ray
Doctor Who Series 5, Volume 2
Buy DVD online: Amazon
Buy Blu-ray online: Amazon
Written by: Steven Moffat
Directed by: Adam Smith
First transmitted on: Saturday 1st May 2010
Running Time: 45 minutes
Setting: The Crash of the Byzantium, 51st century
The Weeping Angels two-parter was the first story to be filmed for Series 5. Production commenced on 20th July 2009
, with the first day of filming making front page headlines all over the world.
- River Song (Alex Kingston)
- Octavian (Iain Glen)
- Bob (David Atkins)
- Marco (Darren Morfitt)
- Pedro (Mark Monero)
- Phillip (George Russo)
Know your enemy: The Weeping Angels are a speices of humanoids, thought to be from the early beginnings of the Universe, who gain power by sending their victims back in time and feeding off the potential energy from the days they would of otherwise had. But they can only strike when they aren't seen, and appear to be nothing but ordinary stone statues when you look straight at them. So whatever you do, don't blink!