Series 5 Episode 7
It has been five long years since Amy Pond put her travelling days in the TARDIS behind her. But when the Doctor lands in her garden again, this time on the eve of the birth of her first child, he brings with him a heartbreaking choice - one that will change her life forever. But not all is at it seems.
- The Doctor: You've swallowed a planet!
Amy: I'm pregnant!
The Doctor: You're... huge!
Amy: Yeah, I'm pregnant.
The Doctor: Look at you! When worlds collide!
Amy: Doctor, I'm pregnant.
The Doctor: Oh, look at you both, five years later and you haven't changed a bit! Apart from age and... size.
Amy: Oh, it's good to see you, Doctor!
The Doctor: Are you pregnant?
- The Doctor: Ah, Leadworth. Vibrant as ever!
Rory: It's Upper Leadworth actually. We've gone slightly up market.
The Doctor: Where is everyone?
Amy: This is busy. Ok, it's quiet, but it's really... restful. And healthy.
- The Doctor: Well, I wanted to see how you were. You know me, I don't just abandon people when they leave the TARDIS. This Time Lord's for life! You don't get rid of your old pal the Doctor so easily...
Amy: You came here by mistake, didn't you?
The Doctor: Yeah, bit of a mistake.
- Rory: Doctor, I also had a kind of dream... thing.
Amy: Yeah, so did I.
Rory: Not a nightmare though. Just... we were married.
Amy: Yeah. In a little village.
Rory: In a sweet little village. And you were pregnant.
Amy: Yes! I was huge! I was a boat!
Rory: So you had the same dream, then? Exactly the same dream?
Amy: Are you calling me a boat?
- Amy: But we're home!
The Doctor: Yeah, you're home. You're also dreaming. Trouble is, Rory, Amy, which is which? Are we flashing forwards or backwards? Hold on tight. This is gonna be a tricky one...
- The Doctor: Never use force! You just embarrass yourself. Unless you're cross. In which case, always use force!
Amy: Shall I run and get the manual?
The Doctor: I threw it in a supernova.
Amy: You threw the manual in a supernova? Why!?
The Doctor: Because I disagreed with it! Stop talking to me when I'm cross!
- The Doctor: Trust nothing we see or hear or feel. Look around you. Examine everything. Look for all the details that don't ring true.
- The Doctor: You're a doctor?
Rory: Yeah. And unlike you, I've actually passed some exams.
- Dream Lord: Well, if you're the Time Lord, let's call me the Dream Lord.
- Dream Lord: Blimey. I'd blush. If I had a blood supply. Or a real face...
- Dream Lord: So, here's your challenge. Two worlds. Here, in the time machine, and there, in the village that time forgot. One is real, the other's fake. And just to make it more interesting, you're going to face, in both worlds, a deadly danger, but only one of the dangers is really. Tweet tweet, time to sleep! Oh, or are you waking up?
- Dream Lord: If you die in the dream, you wake up in reality. Healthy recovery in next to no time. Ask me what happens if you die in reality.
Rory: What happens?
Dream Lord: You die, stupid. That's why it's called reality.
- The Doctor: Now, we all know there's an elephant in the room...
Amy: I have to be this size. I'm having a baby!
- Rory: This from the man in the bow tie?
The Doctor: Bow ties are cool.
- Amy: If that life is real, then why would we give up all of this? Why would anyone?
- Amy: You are always so insecure.
Rory: You ran off with another man!
Amy: Not in that way!
Rory: It was the night before our wedding!
Amy: We're in a time machine! It can be the night before our wedding for as long as we want.
Rory: We have to grow up eventually.
Amy: Says who?
- The Doctor: I can't know everything! Why does everybody expect me to, always?
- Rory: Nothing bad could ever happen here.
Amy: Not really me though, is it? Would I be happy, settling down
in a place with a pub, two shops and a really bad amateur dramatics society?
Amy: That's why I got pregnant! So I don't have to see them doing Oklahoma.
- The Doctor: Leave her alone!
Dream Lord: Do that again. I love it when he does that. Tall, dark hero. Leave her alone!
Rory: Just leave her!
Dream Lord: Yes. You're not quite so impressive. But I know where your heart lies, don't I, Amy Pond?
Amy: Shut up. Just shut up, and leave me alone.
Dream Lord: But listen. You're in there. Loves a redhead, our naughty Doctor. Has he told you about Elisabeth I? Well, she thought she was the first...
- The Doctor: There's only one person in the Universe who hates me as much as you do.
- Dream Lord: Poor Amy. He always leaves you, doesn't he? Alone in the dark. Never apologizes.
Amy: He doesn't have to.
Dream Lord: That's good. Because he never will.
- Dream Lord: Oh, is that who you think you are? The one he trusts?
Amy: Actually, yes.
Dream Lord: The only girl in the Universe to whom the Doctor tells everything.
Dream Lord: So what's his name?
- Dream Lord: Which one of these men would you really choose? Look at them. You ran away with a handsome hero, would you really give him up for a bumbling country doctor, who thinks the only thing he needs to be interesting is a ponytail?
Amy: Stop it!
Dream Lord: But maybe it's better, loving and losing the Doctor? Pick a world and this nightmare will all be over. They'll listen to you. It's you they're waiting for. Amy's men. Amy's choice.
- Rory: Look after our baby.
- Amy: Save him. You save everyone, you always do. It's what you do.
The Doctor: Not always. I'm sorry.
Amy: Doctor, what is the point of you?
- Amy: If we die here, we wake up, yeah?
The Doctor: Unless we just die.
Amy: Either way this is my only chance of seeing him again. This is the dream.
The Doctor: How do you know?
Amy: Because if this is real life I don't want it. I don't want it!
- Amy: I loved Rory and I never told him. And now he's gone.
- Amy: But why didn't it feed on us too?
The Doctor: The darkness in you pair would've starved to death in an instant. I choose my friends with great care. Otherwise I'm stuck in my own company. And you know how that works out.
||DVD & Blu-ray
Doctor Who Series 5, Volume 3
Buy DVD online: Amazon
Buy Blu-ray online: Amazon
Written by: Simon Nye
Directed by: Catherine Morshead
First transmitted on: Saturday 15th May 2010
Running Time: 45 minutes
Setting: Upper Leadworth, 2015 (dream), the TARDIS (dream).
Filming: The scenes in Upper Leadworth were filmed in the small Welsh village of Skenfrith.
- Rory Williams (Arthur Darvill)
- Dream Lord (Toby Jones)
- Mr Nainby (Nick Hobbs)
- Mrs Hamill (Joan Linder)
- Mrs Poggit (Audrey Ardington)
Know your enemy: Although the Dream Lord was an enigma throughout the episode, at the end of the story it is revealed that he was, in fact, the Doctor. When psychic pollen from the Karass Don Slava candle meadows fell into the TARDIS console, the Doctor's 'dark side' was given a physical form and set out to mock and taunt all of his own self-loathing and hatred by creating two dream worlds in which he could show the Doctor for who he really was.