The Hungry Earth (Part I)
Series 5 Episode 8
In 2020, the most ambitious drilling project in history has reached deeper beneath the Earth's crust than man has ever gone before - but now the ground itself is fighting back. The Doctor, Amy and Rory arrive in a tiny mining village and find themselves plunged into a battle against a deadly danger from a bygone age.
- Part one of a two-part story.
- This episode marks the return of the Silurians, who were last seen in the 1984 Fifth Doctor serial, 'Warriors of the Deep'.
- Robert Pugh, who plays Tony, has previously appeared as the adult Jonah in Torchwood's Series 2 episode, Adrift, which was also written by Chris Chibnall.
- The Doctor: Behold... Rio!
Rory: Not really getting the sunshine carnival vibe...
- Amy: Doctor, it's freezing, and I've dressed for Rio! We are not stopping here.
- Amy: It's a graveyard. You promised me a beach!
- The Doctor: Humans, you're so nostalgic.
- Amy: We're still together in ten years.
Rory: No need to sound so surprised!
Amy: Hey, let's go and talk to them! We can say hi to Future Us, how cool is that!?
The Doctor: No, best not. Really best not. These things get complicated very quickly.
- The Doctor: Oh, I love a big mining thing. See, way better than Rio. Rio doesn't have a big mining thing.
- Amy: That is breaking and enterting!
The Doctor: What did I break? Sonicing and entering, totally different.
- Amy: Oh, please! Have you always been this disgusting?
The Doctor: No, that's recent.
- The Doctor: Hello!
Nasreen: Who are you? What are you doing here? And what are you wearing?
Amy: I dressed for Rio!
- The Doctor: You all need to get out of here very fast.
- Amy: Don't let go!
The Doctor: Never.
- The Doctor: Amy, concentrate. Don't you give up!
Amy: Tell Rory...
The Doctor: No. Amy!
- Elliot: The graves eat people. Devour them whole, leaving no trace.
Rory: Not sure about that.
- Tony: You're not making any sense, man!
The Doctor: Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.
- The Doctor: I'll find Amy. I'll keep you all safe. I promise.
- The Doctor: I need you alongside me.
- Nasreen: Look, Ambrose, we saw the Doctor's friend get taken, ok? You saw the lightning in the sky. I have seen the impossible today, and the only person who's made any sense of it, for me, is the Doctor.
The Doctor: Me!
- Elliot: I can't do the words. I'm dyslexic.
The Doctor: Oh, that's all right. I can't make a decent meringue.
- Elliot: Have you met monsters before?
The Doctor: Yeah.
Elliot: You scared of them?
The Doctor: No. They're scared of me.
- Rory: Can't you sonic it?
The Doctor: It doesn't do wood!
Rory: That is... rubbish.
The Doctor: Oi! Don't diss the sonic!
- The Doctor: Cold blood. I know who they are...
- Amy: I know you're out there! My name is Amy Pond, and you better get me the hell out of here or so help me I am going to kick your backside!
- Amy: Did you just shush me!?
- Alaya: I am the last of my species.
The Doctor: Really? No. "Last of the species", the Klempari Defence. As an interrogation defence, it's a bit old hat I'm afraid.
Alaya: I'm the last of my species.
The Doctor: No. You're really not. Because I'm the last of my species, and I know how it sits in a heart. So don't insult me.
- The Doctor: Humans won't give up the planet.
Alaya: So we destroy them.
The Doctor: You underestimate them.
Alaya: You underestimate us!
- The Doctor: It'll be dangerous.
Nasreen: Oh, so's crossing the road.
- Alaya: One of you will kill me. My death shall ignite a war, and every stinking ape shall be wiped from the surface of my beloved planet!
Tony: We won't allow that to happen.
Alaya: I know apes better than you know yourselves! I know which one of you will kill me. Do you?
- Nasreen: It's like this is everyday to you!
The Doctor: Not everyday. Every other day.
- Mo: Don't struggle! Close your eyes and don't struggle!
Amy: What!? Where am I? Why can't I move my body?
Mo: 'Decontamination' they call it.
They did it to me. While I was conscious.
Amy: Ok, you're freaking me out now. Did what? Who did?
Mo: Dissected me.
- The Doctor: We're looking for a small tribal settlement, probably housing around a dozen homo reptilia. Maybe less.
Nasreen: One small tribe...
The Doctor: Yeah.
Nasreen: Maybe a... dozen?
The Doctor: Ah. Maybe more than a dozen. Maybe more like an entire civilisation living beneath the Earth...
||DVD & Blu-ray
Doctor Who Series 5, Volume 3
Buy DVD online: Amazon
Buy Blu-ray online: Amazon
Written by: Chris Chibnall
Directed by: Ashley Way
First transmitted on: Saturday 22nd May 2010
Running Time: 48 minutes
Setting: Cwmtaff, South Wales, 2020
Filming: Scenes for this two-parter were filmed in October 2009.
- Rory Williams (Arthur Darvill)
- Alaya (Neve McIntosh)
- Dr Nasreen Chaudhry (Meera Syal)
- Tony Mack (Robert Pugh)
- Ambrose (Nia Roberts)
- Mo (Alun Raglan)
- Elliot (Samuel Davies)
Know your enemy: The Silurians are reptile-like creatures who made their first appearance in the 1970 Third Doctor serial, Doctor Who and the Silurians. They were the first species to inhabit Earth, and now reside in hibernation beneath its crust. In 2020, the drilling project taking place in Cwmtaff, South Wales disturbs a tribe of the Earth-dwellers, who return to the surface to reclaim their beloved planet.