Cold Blood (Part II)
Series 5 Episode 9
It's the most important day in the history of Earth, as humanity faces the dawn of a new age of harmony - or the start of their final war. The Doctor must face his most difficult challenge yet, caught up in a battle in which he cannot take sides, and on a day when nobody must die…
- Part two of a two-part story.
- Eldane: This is the story of our planet, Earth, of the day a thousand years passed when we came to share it with a race known as Humanity. It is the story of the Doctor, who helped our races find common ground, and the terrible losses he suffered. It is the story of our past, and must never be forgotten.
- Malohkeh: From the clothing, the human female appears to be more resistant to the cold than the male.
Amy: I dressed for Rio!
- Amy: Yeah! And stay out!
- Ambrose: You lied. You told us you were the police.
Rory: It was a... misunderstanding.
Ambrose: Who are you? You and the Doctor? Why is this happening to us? What did we ever do?
- Amy: I wonder what these are. The Doctor would know. The Doctor always knows.
- Mo: Which way now?
Amy: Door at the end.
Mo: You sure?
- Alaya: I knew it would be you. The one with the most to lose, the weakest!
- Amy: Ok, sorry. As far as rescues go, didn't live up to its potential...
The Doctor: I'm glad you're ok.
Amy: Me too! Lizard men though!?
The Doctor: Homo reptilia. They occupied the planet before humans. Now they want it back.
Nasreen: After they've wiped out the human race.
Amy: Right. Preferred it when I didn't know, to be honest...
- The Doctor: There are fixed points through time, where things must always stay the way they are. This is not one of them. This is an opportunity, a temporal tipping point. Whatever happens today will change future events, create its own timeline, its own reality. The future pivots around you. Here. Now. So do good. For humanity, and for Earth.
Amy: Right. No pressure there then!
- Mo: You're safe now.
Elliot: Where are we?
Mo: Well... I've gotta be honest with you, son.
We're in the centre of the Earth. And there are lizard men.
- The Doctor: Elliot, I'm sorry. I took my eye off you.
Elliot: It's ok. I forgive you.
- Eldane: We lived on the surface of the planet long before you did. Our sole purpose has been to return to our rightful place.
- Eldane: As I sat there that day, across the table from the humans, the future of both species and of our beloved planet Earth rested in our hands. But as the discussion went on, I began to despair about whether we would ever find any common ground. As ambassadors for our species, we all had too much to lose.
- Nasreen: I don't want to go. I've got what I was digging for. I can't leave when I've only just found it.
- Nasreen: Thank you, Doctor.
The Doctor: The pleasure was all mine.
- The Doctor: Not here. Not now. It's getting wider...
Amy: The crack on my bedroom wall.
The Doctor: And the Byzantium. All through the Universe. Rips in the continuum. Some sort of... space-time cataclysm. An explosion, maybe. Big enough to put cracks in the Universe. But what?
- The Doctor: The Angels laughed when I didn't know. Prisoner Zero knew. Everybody knows, except me!
- The Doctor: Rory, can you hear me!?
Rory: I don't understand.
Amy: Ssh. Don't talk. Doctor, is he ok? We have to get him onto the TARDIS!
Rory: We were on the hill. I can't die here...
Amy: Don't say that.
Rory: You're so beautiful. I'm sorry.
- The Doctor: Amy, move away from the light. If it touches you, you'll be wiped from history.
- Amy: That light. If his body's absorbed, I'll forget him. He'll never have existed. You can't let that happen!
- Ambrose: You could've let those things shoot me. You saved me.
The Doctor: An eye for an eye. It's never the way. Now you show your son how wrong you were. How there's another way. You make him the best of humanity. In the way you couldn't be.
- Eldane: Now, as my people awaken from our 1,000 year sleep, ready to rise to the surface, my thoughts turn back to the Doctor. The losses he suffered then, and the greater losses that were still to come.
||DVD & Blu-ray
Doctor Who Series 5, Volume 3
Buy DVD online: Amazon
Buy Blu-ray online: Amazon
Written by: Chris Chibnall
Directed by: Ashley Way
First transmitted on: Saturday 29th May 2010
Running Time: 45 minutes
Setting: Cwmtaff, South Wales, 2020
Filming: Scenes for this two-parter were filmed in October 2009.
- Rory Williams (Arthur Darvill)
- Alaya/Restac (Neve McIntosh)
- Dr Nasreen Chaudhry (Meera Syal)
- Tony Mack (Robert Pugh)
- Ambrose (Nia Roberts)
- Malohkeh (Richard Hope)
- Eldane (Stephen Moore)
- Mo (Alun Raglan)
- Elliot (Samuel Davies)
Know your enemy: The Silurians are reptile-like creatures who made their first appearance in the 1970 Third Doctor serial, Doctor Who and the Silurians. They were the first species to inhabit Earth, and now reside in hibernation beneath its crust. In 2020, the drilling project taking place in Cwmtaff, South Wales disturbs a tribe of the Earth-dwellers, who return to the surface to reclaim their beloved planet.