The Impossible Astronaut (Part I)
Series 6 Episode 1
The Doctor, Amy, Rory and River Song are reunited in the middle of the Utah desert, where a strange summons unveils a terrible secret that the Doctor's friends must never reveal to him.
- Part one of a two part story.
- The title of this episode was confirmed at the end of the Red Nose Day episode, although it had been revealed online a few days earlier.
- Filming for this episode took place in Utah, marking the first time that principal photography for the series had taken place in the US.
- The episode was dedicated to Sarah Jane Smith actress Elisabeth Sladen, who passed away on 19th April, aged 63, after a battle with cancer.
- A prequel to the opening two-parter was released on Friday 25th March.
- Amy: (About the Doctor) It's like he's being deliberately ridiculous, trying to attract our attention...
- Amy: This is it, yeah? The right place?
Rory: Nowhere, middle of? Yeah, this is it...
The Doctor: Howdy!
- Amy: So someone's been a busy boy then, eh?
The Doctor: Did you see me?
Amy: Of course!
The Doctor: Stalker.
- The Doctor: I wear a Stetson now. Stetsons are cool.
- River: Hello, sweetie.
- River: Have we done Easter Island yet?
The Doctor: Yes, I've got Easter Island.
River: They worshipped you there! Have you seen the statues?
- Rory: Sorry, what are you two doing?
Amy: They're both time travellers, so they never meet in the right order. They're syncing their diaries.
- The Doctor: I've been running, faster than I've ever run, and I've been running my whole life. Now it's time for me to stop. And tonight, I'm going to need you all with me.
- The Doctor: Somewhere different. Somewhere brand new...
- Amy: 1103? You were 908 the last time we saw you.
The Doctor: And you've put on a couple of pounds. I wasn't going to mention it.
- The Doctor: Human beings... I thought I'd never get done saving you.
- The Doctor: I'm sorry.
- Old Canton: I believe I can save you some time. That most certainly is the Doctor, and he is most certainly dead.
- River: A Time Lord's body is a miracle. Even a dead one. There are whole empires out there who'd rip this world apart for just one cell.
- Amy: (To the Doctor) Wake up! Go on! Wake up, you bloody stupid idiot!
- River: We're his friends. We do what the Doctor's friends always do. As we're told.
- Old Canton: I'm Canton Everett Delaware the Third. I won't be seeing you again. But you'll be seeing me.
- River: The Doctor knew he was going to his death, so he sent out messages. When you know it's the end, who do you call?
Rory: Your friends, people you trust.
- River: (To the Doctor) This is cold. Even by your standards, this is cold.
The Doctor: Or "Hello", as people used to say.
- The Doctor: I just popped out to get my special straw. It adds more fizz.
- The Doctor: I'm always ok, I'm the king of ok. Oh, that's a rubbish title. Forget that title.
- The Doctor: 1969, that's an easy one. Funny how some years are easy. Now, 1482, full of glitches.
- The Doctor: Rory, is everybody cross with me for some reason?
- River: He's interacted with his own past. It could rip a hole in the universe.
Amy: Except he's done it before!
Rory: And in fairness, the universe did blow up...
- The Doctor: I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed. What's the point in having you all!?
River: Couldn't you just slap him sometimes?
- River: The Doctor's death doesn't frighten me, nor does my own. There's a far worse day coming for me.
- The Doctor: Time isn't a straight line. It's all bumpy-wumpy. There's loads of boring stuff, like Sundays and Tuesdays and Thursday afternoons. But now and then there are Saturdays, big temporal tipping points when anything's possible. The TARDIS can't resist them, like a moth to a flame.
- Rory: Where are we going?
The Doctor: Home! Well, you two are. Off you pop and make babies.
- The Doctor: A mysterious summons? You think I'm just going to go? Who sent those messages? I know you know, I can see it in your faces. Don't play games with me. Don't ever, ever think you're capable of that.
River: You're going to have to trust us this time.
- The Doctor: (To River) I love a bad girl, me, but trust you? Seriously?
- Amy: You have to do this, and you can't ask why.
- The Doctor: Swear to me. Swear to me on something that matters.
Amy: Fish fingers and custard.
The Doctor: My life in your hands, Amelia Pond.
- President Nixon: You were my second choice for this, Mr Delaware.
President Nixon: That's ok. You were my second choice for President, Mr Nixon.
- The Doctor: I just walked into the highest security office in the United States, parked a big blue box on the rug. You think you can just shoot me?
River: They're Americans!
- Rory: Very much not in need of getting shot!
- President Nixon: What is that box?
The Doctor: It's a Police Box. Can't you read?
- The Doctor: (About Amy, Rory and River) These are my top operatives. The Legs, the Nose and Mrs Robinson.
River: I hate you!
The Doctor: No you don't.
- The Doctor: I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilise, street level maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve jammy dodgers and a Fez!
Canton: (Pause) Get him his maps.
- Canton: (About the TARDIS) It's bigger on the inside...
Rory: Yeah, you get used to it.
- Canton: It's...
The Doctor: (To Rory) Are you taking care of this?
Rory: Why is it always my turn!?
Amy: 'Cause you're the newest.
- The Doctor: Dr Song, you've got that face on again.
River: What face?
The Doctor: The "he's hot when he's clever" face.
River: This is my normal face.
The Doctor: Yes it is.
River: Oh shut up!
The Doctor: Not a chance.
- Amy: Cool aliens?
The Doctor: Well, what would you call me?
Amy: An alien.
The Doctor: Oi!
- Amy: River...
River: I know what you're thinking.
Amy: No you don't.
River: You're thinking if we can find the spaceman in 1969 and neutralise it, then it won't be around in 2011 to kill the Doctor.
Amy: Ok, lucky guess.
River: That's only because I was thinking it too.
- The Doctor: Be careful!
River: Careful? Tried that once. Ever so dull!
The Doctor: Shout if you get in trouble.
River: Don't worry. I'm quite the screamer...
- River: When I first met the Doctor, a long, long time ago, he knew all about me. Think about that. Impressionable young girl, and suddenly this man just drops out of the sky. He's clever and mad and wonderful, and knows every last thing about her. Imagine what that does to a girl.
Rory: I don't really have to.
River: Trouble is, it's all back to front. My past is his future. We're travelling in opposite directions. Every time we meet, I know him more, he knows me less. I live for the days when I see him. But I know that every time I do, he'll be one step further away. And the day's coming, when I'll look
into that man's eyes, my Doctor... and he won't have the faintest idea who I am. And I think it's going to kill me.
- Canton: Doctor who, exactly?
Amy: Ah, that's classified.
Canton: Classified by who?
Amy: God knows...
Canton: But you work for him.
Amy: He's my friend: If "friend" is the right word. I haven't seen him in a while. I had something I wanted to tell him, but stuff always gets in the way.
Canton: Stuff does that.
- Amy: Doctor, I need to tell you something. I have to tell you it now!
The Doctor: Not a great moment, Amy.
Amy: No, it's important! It has to be now!
- Amy: Doctor... I'm pregnant.
||DVD & Blu-ray
Doctor Who - Series 6: Part 1
Buy DVD online: Amazon
Buy Blu-ray online: Amazon
Written by: Steven Moffat
Directed by: Toby Haynes
First transmitted on: Saturday 23rd April 2011
Running Time: 43 minutes, 42 seconds
Setting: Utah, 2011/Washington, D.C., April 8th 1969
- River Song (Alex Kingston)
- Canton Delaware (Mark Sheppard)
- Old Canton (William Morgan Sheppard)
- President Richard Nixon (Stuart Milligan)
- Carl (Chuk Iwuji)
- Phil (Mark Griffin)
- The Silent (Marnix Van Den Broeke)
- Little Girl (Sydney Wade)
- Joy (Nancy Baldwin)
- Captain Simmons (Adam Napier)
- Matilda (Henrietta Clemett)
- Charles (Paul Critoph)
- Prison Guard (Kieran O'Connor)
- Busboy (Emilio Aquino)