The Curse of the Black Spot
Series 6 Episode 3
The TARDIS is marooned onboard a 17th-century pirate ship whose crew is being attacked by a mysterious and beautiful sea creature. Becalmed and beset by cabin fever, the pirates have numerous superstitious explanations for the Siren's appearance. The Doctor has other ideas but, as his theories are disproved and every plan of escape is thwarted, he must work to win the trust of the implacable Captain Avery and uncover the truth behind the pirates' supernatural fears - and he must work quickly, for some of his friends have already fallen under the Siren's spell...
- Filming for this episode took place in Charlestown in Cornwall.
- A prequel to this episode was released on Saturday 30th April.
- Captain Avery: You're a dead man, McGrath. Same as all the others. She's here.
- Boatswain: Don't listen for God's sake! The Siren is a-calling!
- The Doctor: Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?
- The Doctor: Our sensors picked you up. Ship in distress.
Captain Avery: Sensors?
The Doctor: Yes. Ok. Problem word, 17th century. My ship automatically... er... noticed...ish... that your ship was having some bother.
- Boatswain: They're spirits. How else would they have found their way below decks?
The Doctor: Well, I want to say multidimensional engineering, but since you had a problem with 'sensors' I won't go there...
- The Doctor: I suppose laughing like that is in the job description. "Can you do the laugh?" Check. Grab yourself a parrot. Welcome aboard!
- The Doctor: Amy, what are you doing!?
Amy: Saving your life. Ok with that, are you?
- Captain Avery: A sword could kill us all girl.
Amy: Yep thanks, that's actually why I'm pointing it at you!
- Amy: What kind of rubbish pirates are you!?
- Captain Avery: She can smell the blood on your skin. She's marked you for death.
Captain Avery: A demon, out there in the ocean.
The Doctor: Ok, groovy! So not just pirates today, we've managed to bagsy a ship where there's a demon popping in! Very efficient. I mean, if something's gonna kill you, it's nice that it drops you a note to remind you...
- Rory: You are so beautiful!
Rory: I love your get up! That's great! You should dress as a pirate more often. Cuddle me, shipmate.
Amy: Rory, stop!
Rory: Everything is totally brilliant, isn't it!? Look at these brilliant pirates! Look at their brilliant beards! I'd like a beard. I'm going to grow a beard!
- Captain Avery: The music turns them into fools.
- Amy: Sorry, but he is spoken for.
- Amy: What is that thing!?
Captain Avery: The legend. The Siren. Many a merchant ship laden with treasure has fallen prey to her. She's been hunting us ever since we were becalmed, picking off the injured...
Boatswain: Like a shark. A shark can smell blood.
The Doctor: Ok, just like a shark. In a dress. And singing. And green. A green, singing shark in an evening gown!
Captain Avery: The ship is cursed!
The Doctor: Yeah, right. 'Cursed' is big with humans. Means bad things are happening but you can't be bothered
to find an explanation.
Rory: She's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.
Amy: Actually, I think you'll find she isn't...
- The Doctor: You're big on the gun thing, aren't you? Freud would say you're compensating...
- The Doctor: I have my good days and my bad days!
- The Doctor: She's using water like a portal, a door. She can materialise through a single drop. We need to go somewhere with no water.
Amy: Well, thank God we're not in the middle of the ocean!
Rory: Did you see her eyes? Like crystal pools...
Amy: You are in enough trouble!
- Captain Avery: It's dangerous here. There is a monster aboard. She leaves a mark on men's skin.
Toby: The black spot?
- The Doctor: Ignore my last theory.
Amy: He has his good days and his bad days.
- Amy: If you get an itch, don't scratch too hard.
The Doctor: We've all got to go some time. There are worse ways than having your face snogged off by a dodgy mermaid.
- Amy: The most beautiful thing you've ever seen?
Rory: Oh, tell me I didn't really say that...
- Captain Avery: What's this do?
The Doctor: That does very, very complicated, that does sophisticated, that does whoa, amazing, and that does whizz bang. Far too technical to explain!
Captain Avery: Wheel?
The Doctor: Atom accelerator.
- Captain Avery: A ship's a ship.
- Boatswain: We sail under the black flag. The Jolly Roger.
Toby: Liar! He's no wicked pirate!
Boatswain: Oh, you think so? I've seen your father gun down a thousand innocent men.
- The Doctor: You had to gloat, didn't you?
Captain Avery: I'm not gloating.
The Doctor: I saw that look just now. "Haha, his ship's rubbish".
Captain Avery: True.
- Eyepatch Lady: It's fine. You're doing fine. Just stay calm...
- The Doctor: I've travelled far, like you. Space can be very lonely. The greatest adventure is having someone share it with you.
- Captain Avery: I'm sorry! I'm sorry!
The Doctor: You couldn't give up the gold, could you!? That's why you turned pirate! Your commission, your wife, your son! Just how much is that treasure worth to you man!?
- The Doctor: Ever look in the mirror and think you're seeing a whole other world? Well, this time it's not an illusion...
- The Doctor: Alien bogies!
- Rory: Where am I?
The Doctor: You're in a hospital. If you leave you might die.
Amy: But if you don't, you'll have to stay here forever.
- Amy: What about him? I mean, why do I have to be the one? Why do I have to save you?
Rory: Because I know you'll never give up.
- The Doctor: Do you think you can sail this thing?
Captain Avery: Just point me to the atom accelerator.
- Rory: Of course, if you muck it up, I am going to be really cross. And dead...
- Amy: I thought I was an excellent pirate...
Rory: I thought you were an excellent nurse.
Amy: Easy, tiger!
- The Doctor: Goodnight, Amelia.
Amy: You only call me Amelia when you're worrying about me.
The Doctor: I always worry about you.
The Doctor: Go to bed, Pond!
- The Doctor: Oh, Amelia...
||DVD & Blu-ray
Doctor Who - Series 6: Part 1
Buy DVD online: Amazon
Buy Blu-ray online: Amazon
Written by: Steve Thompson
Directed by: Jeremy Webb
First transmitted on: Saturday 7th May 2011
Running Time: 44 minutes, 50 seconds
Setting: 17th century
- Captain Avery (Hugh Bonneville)
- Toby (Oscar Lloyd)
- Boatswain (Lee Ross)
- Mulligan (Michael Begley)
- DeFlorres (Tony Lucken)
- Dancer (Chris Jarman)
- McGrath (Carl McCrystal)
- Eyepatch Lady (Frances Barber)
- Sea siren (Lily Cole)