The Doctor's Wife
Series 6 Episode 4
The Doctor receives a distress signal from an old friend. Could there really be another living Time Lord out there? Hopes raised, he follows the signal to a junkyard planet sitting upon a mysterious asteroid in a Bubble universe, populated by a very strange family. The Doctor, Amy and Rory are given the warmest of welcomes by Auntie, Uncle and Nephew. But the beautiful and insane Idris greets them in a more unusual fashion - what is she trying to tell the Doctor? As the Doctor investigates, he unwittingly puts his friends in the gravest danger...
- Working titles for this episode were 'The House of Nothing' and 'Bigger on the Inside'.
- Neil Gaiman announced that he had written a Doctor Who episode at a convention in February 2010. It was originally going to be shown as part of Series 5, but was ultimately pushed back so that "there would be enough budget to make it properly".
- In 2009, Suranne Jones appeared as Mona Lisa in The Sarah Jane Adventures story Mona Lisa's Revenge.
- Uncle: I only wish I could go in your place, Idris. Nah, I don't, 'cause it's really going to hurt...
- Idris: I'm scared!
Auntie: I expect so, dear.
- The Doctor: Oh, come here. Come here, you scrumptious little beauty!
- Amy: Doctor, what is it?
The Doctor: I've got mail!
- The Doctor: There's a living Time Lord still out there, and it's one of the good ones!
- Amy: Where are we?
The Doctor: Outside the universe, where we've never, ever been...
- Idris: Thief! Thief! You're my thief!
- Idris: Look at you! Goodbye! No, not goodbye. What's the other one?
- The Doctor: Why am I thief? What have I stolen?
Idris: Me. You're going to steal me. No, you have stolen me. You are stealing me? Oh, tenses are difficult, aren't they?
- Idris: Oh, biting's excellent! It's like kissing, only there's a winner!
- Idris: The little boxes will make you angry.
- The Doctor: It's an Ood! Oods are good, love an Ood!
- The Doctor: Somewhere close by there are lots and lots of... Time Lords.
- Idris: I'm... I'm... Big word, sad word. Why is that word so sad? No! Will be sad. Will be sad...
- The Doctor: There are Time Lords here. I heard them, and they need me.
Amy: You told me about your people, and you told me what you did.
- Amy: You want to be forgiven.
The Doctor: Don't we all?
- Amy: Doctor, listen to me. Don't get emotional, because that's when you make mistakes.
- Rory: (About the Doctor) He'll be fine. He's a Time Lord!
Amy: It's just what they're called. It doesn't mean he actually knows what he's doing!
- The Doctor: Just admiring your Time Lord distress signal collection. Nice job. Brilliant job. Really thought I had some friends here...
- The Doctor: You gave me hope and then you took it away. That's enough to make anyone dangerous. God knows what it will do to me! Basically... run!
- Idris: Ah, it's my thief.
The Doctor: Who are you!?
Idris: It's about time.
- Amy: Sometimes I hate being right.
- The Doctor: The TARDIS?
Idris: Time And Relative Dimension In Space. Yes, that's it. Names are funny. It's me! I'm the TARDIS.
The Doctor: No you're not! You're a bitey mad lady!
- Idris: The first time you touched my console you said...
The Doctor: I said you were the most beautiful thing I had ever known.
Idris: Then you stole me. And I stole you...
The Doctor: I borrowed you.
Idris: Borrowing implies the eventual intention to return the thing that was taken. What makes you think I would ever give you back?
- The Doctor: My TARDIS!?
Idris: My Doctor!
- Idris: Are all people like this?
The Doctor: Like what?
Idris: So much... bigger on the inside?
- Amy: Doctor, I don't like this!
- Amy: Rory, hold my hand.
- The Doctor: I really don't know what to do. That's a new feeling...
- Idris: Don't get emotional. That's what the orangey girl says...
- The Doctor: I'm a mad man with a box, without a box!
- The Doctor: Oh, sorry, do you have a name?
Idris: 700 years, finally he asks.
The Doctor: But what do I call you?
Idris: I think you call me... Sexy.
The Doctor: Only when we're alone!
Idris: We are alone.
The Doctor: Come on then, Sexy.
- Rory: Killing us quickly wouldn't be any fun. And you need fun, don't you? That's what Auntie and Uncle were for, wasn't it? Someone to make suffer. I had a PE teacher just like you...
- The Doctor: It's not impossible as long as we're alive.
- House: So, are we having fun yet?
- Idris: You're like a nine year old trying to rebuild a motorbike in his bedroom. And you never read the instructions!
- Idris: There's an instruction at the bottom. What does it say?
The Doctor: Pull to open.
Idris: Yes, and what do you do?
The Doctor: I push!
Idris: Every single time. 700 years. Police box doors open out the way...
- The Doctor: You are not my mother!
Idris: And you are not my child!
- The Doctor: You have never been very reliable!
Idris: And you have!?
The Doctor: You didn't always take me where I wanted to go.
Idris: No, but I always took you where you needed to go.
- The Doctor: I've got nothing.
Idris: Oh, my beautiful idiot. You have what you've always had. You've got me.
- The Doctor: She's my TARDIS. Except she's a woman. She's a woman, and she's my TARDIS.
Amy: She's the TARDIS!?
The Doctor: And she's a woman. She's a woman, and she's the TARDIS.
Amy: Did you wish really hard?
- Idris: Hello, I'm Sexy.
- House: Fear me. I've killed hundreds of Time Lords.
The Doctor: Fear me. I've killed all of them.
- Idris: I've been looking for a word. A big, complicated word, but so sad. I've found it now.
The Doctor: What word?
Idris: Alive. I'm alive.
The Doctor: Alive isn't sad.
Idris: It's sad when it's over. I'll always be here, but this is when we talked, and now even that has come to an end. There's something I didn't get to say to you.
The Doctor: Goodbye?
Idris: No. I just wanted to say... hello. Hello, Doctor. It's so very, very nice to meet you.
The Doctor: Please. I don't want you to. Please!
- Rory: "The only water in the forest is the river". She said we'd need to know that someday. It doesn't make sense, does it?
The Doctor: Not yet.
- Amy: It's always you and her, isn't it? Long after the rest of us have gone. A boy and his box, off to see the universe.
The Doctor: Well, you say that as if it's a bad thing. But honestly, it's the best thing there is.
- Amy: Doctor, this time, could we lose the bunk beds?
The Doctor: No, bunk beds are cool!
A bed, with a ladder! You can't beat that!
||DVD & Blu-ray
Doctor Who - Series 6: Part 1
Buy DVD online: Amazon
Buy Blu-ray online: Amazon
Written by: Neil Gaiman
Directed by: Richard Clark
First transmitted on: Saturday 14th May 2011
Running Time: 45 minutes, 51 seconds
Setting: A Bubble universe
- Idris (Suranne Jones)
- Auntie (Elizabeth Berrington)
- Uncle (Adrian Schiller)
- Nephew (Paul Kasey)
- House (Michael Sheen)