The Rebel Flesh (Part I)
Series 6 Episode 5
A solar tsunami sends the TARDIS hurtling towards a futuristic factory on Earth, where human doppelgangers are used to mine dangerous acid. A second wave hits and the "Gangers" separate. They can remember every second of their "original's" life and feel every emotion they've ever experienced. But are these memories stolen or have they been bequeathed? Are the Gangers merely faulty machinery that must be shut down or are they living, breathing, sentient beings? Can the Doctor convince the terrified humans to accept these "almost people" and prevent an all-out civil war before the factory explodes?
- Part one of a two part story.
- Jimmy: Nice going, twinkle toes!
- Jimmy: Well, no point carrying you back legless. Sorry, Buzzer. You're dead.
Buzzer: This is a right pain in the armour...
- Buzzer: So I think we'd better talk about what just happened back there. I could get compensation, I've seen the holo-ads. "Had an accident in the workplace?" Yeah, I have as it goes. I've melted.
Jimmy: Let it go!
- The Doctor: Who wants fish and chips?
- Amy: Ooh, we've gone all medieval!
Rory: I'm not sure about that.
Amy: Really? Medieval expert, are you?
Rory: No, it's just that I can hear Dusty Springfield!
- Amy: So, where are these Dusty Springfield loving monks then?
- The Doctor: There are people coming. Well, almost.
Amy: Almost coming?
The Doctor: Almost people.
- Rory: I'm telling you, when something runs towards you, it's never for a nice reason!
- Cleaves: If there's another solar storm, what are you going to do about it? Hand out sunblock?
- Rory: For want of a better word... ow!
- The Doctor: A lot can go wrong in an hour...
- The Doctor: You don't have to hide. Please, trust me. I'm the Doctor.
- Jennifer Ganger: When I was a little girl, I got lost on the moors, wandered off from the picnic. I can still feel how sore my toes got inside my red wellie boots. And I imagined another little girl, just like me, in red wellies. And she was Jennifer too. Except she was a strong Jennifer, a tough Jennifer. She'd lead me home. My name is Jennifer Lucas. I'm not a factory part. I had toast for my breakfast.
- Rory: Where is the real Jennifer?
Jennifer Ganger: I am Jennifer Lucas! I remember everything that happened in her entire life. Every birthday, every childhood illness. I feel everything she has ever felt and more. I'm not a monster! I am me!
- Jennifer Ganger: Amy's a lucky girl.
Rory: Yeah. She is.
- The Doctor: Before we do anything, I have one very important question. Has anybody got a pair of shoes I could borrow? Size 10. Although I should warn you, I have very wide feet...
- Jimmy: This is insane! We're fighting ourselves!
The Doctor: Yes, it's insane. And it's about to get even more insanerer! Is that a word?
- The Doctor Ganger: It's frightening, unexpected, frankly a total, utter splattering mess on the carpet. But I am certain, 100% certain, that we can work this out. Trust me. I'm the Doctor.
||DVD & Blu-ray
Doctor Who - Series 6: Part 1
Buy DVD online: Amazon
Buy Blu-ray online: Amazon
Written by: Matthew Graham
Directed by: Julian Simpson
First transmitted on: Saturday 21st May 2011
Running Time: 43 minutes, 23 seconds
Setting: Earth, 22nd century
- Jimmy (Mark Bonnar)
- Buzzer (Marshall Lancaster)
- Jennifer (Sarah Smart)
- Foreman Cleaves (Raquel Cassidy)
- Dicken (Leon Vickers)
- Eyepatch Lady (Frances Barber)