A Christmas Carol
Series 6 Christmas Special
It's the deepest part of winter, the exact midpoint, Christmas Eve - halfway out of the dark. Amy and Rory are trapped on a stricken space liner that's plummeting through banks of thick icy fog to the surface of the planet below. Only one man has the power to save them; only one man is in possession of a machine that can clear the fog and let them land safely. That man is Kazran Sardick, a rich but lonely old miser who rules Sardicktown with a sky-mast of iron. The Doctor's only chance of rescuing the ship's four thousand passengers is to save Kazran's soul and show him that life is worth living. For this he needs to go back, way back, to when Kazran was a boy with a life full of promise. But can the Doctor put a song in Kazran's heart and love in his life, in time for Christmas? Can he bring him out of the dark?
- In this episode, Arthur Darvill's name is featured in the opening titles for the first time.
- Katherine Jenkins was told she had won the part of Abigail Pettigrew on her 30th birthday.
- Amy: (About the Doctor) He'll come! He always comes!
Rory: Right, well he is cutting it kind of fine!
- Amy: Just this once, don't be late.
- Amy: It's Christmas!
- Kazran: On every world, wherever people are, in the deepest part of the winter, at the exact mid-point, everybody stops and turns and hugs. As if to say, "Well done. Well done, everyone - we're halfway out of the dark." Back on Earth, we called this Christmas, or the Winter Solstice. On this world, the first settlers called it the Crystal Feast. You know what I call it? I call it expecting something for nothing!
- Old Benjamin: (About Abigail) She loves Christmas.
Kazran: Oh, does she?
I see! Hello! Wakey-wakey! It's Christmas! Do you know what? I think she's a bit cool about the whole thing!
- Kazran: Oh, what a clever little boy. You must be so irritated.
- The Doctor: Ah! Yes! Blimey, sorry! Christmas Eve on a rooftop, saw a chimney, my whole brain just went, "What the hell!" Don't worry, fat fella will be doing the rounds later. I'm just scoping out the general... chimneyness. Yes.
- The Doctor: Keep the faith. Stay off the naughty list!
- The Doctor: Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually, but give me time. And a crayon.
- The Doctor: (About Abigail) Who's she?
Kazran: Nobody important.
The Doctor: Nobody important? Blimey, that's amazing. Do you know, in 900 years of time and space, I've never met anyone who wasn't important before.
- The Doctor: There are 4003 people I won't allow to die tonight. Do you know where that puts you?
The Doctor: 4004.
Kazran: Was that a sort of... threat-y thing?
The Doctor: Whatever happens tonight, remember. You brought it on yourself.
- Amy: Have you got a plan yet?
The Doctor: Yes, I do.
Amy: Are you lying?
The Doctor: Yes, I am.
Amy: Don't treat me like an idiot!
Rory: Was he lying?
Amy: No, no.
- The Doctor: Merry Christmas, Kazran Sardick!
- Young Kazran: Are there any face spiders in here?
The Doctor: Nah, not at this time of night. They'll all be sleeping in your
- Young Kazran: What kind of tie is that?
The Doctor: A cool one.
- The Doctor: Eyes on the tie. Look at me. I wear it and I don't care. Trust me?
Young Kazran: Yes.
The Doctor: That's why it's cool.
- Abigail: You are a doctor, you say? Are you one of mine?
The Doctor: Do you need a doctor?
- Abigail: You've grown.
Adult Kazran: Yeah.
Abigail: And now you're blushing.
- Adult Kazran: When girls are crying, are you supposed to talk to them?
The Doctor: I have absolutely no idea.
- Abigail: They are very poor. Doesn't mean you can't be happy.
Adult Kazran: And then why aren't you?
Abigail: Because this is the life I can never have.
- Abigail: Best Christmas Eve ever!
The Doctor: Ah, until the next one!
Abigail: I look forward to it!
- Adult Kazran: What, now!? I kiss her now!?
The Doctor: Kazran, trust me. It's this or
go to your room and design a new kind of screwdriver. Don't make my mistakes. Now go!
- Abigail: I have something to tell you.
Adult Kazran: A bad thing?
Abigail: A very bad thing.
- The Doctor: Guys, we've really got to go quite quickly. I just accidentally got engaged to Marilyn Monroe...
- The Doctor: Marilyn, get your coat!
- Abigail: There is nothing to be done.
- Amy: You didn't think this was over, did you? I'm the Ghost of Christmas Present!
Kazran: A ghost? Dressed like that?
Rory: Eyes off the skirt!
Kazran: You turned into a Roman.
Amy: Yeah, I do that.
- Kazran: Why are they singing?
Amy: For their lives.
- Amy: Time can be rewritten.
Kazran: You tell the Doctor, tell him from me. People can't!
- Kazran: Everybody has to die.
Amy: Not tonight!
Kazran: Tonight's as good as any other night. How do you choose?
- Abigail: Look at you. You're so old now. I think you waited a bit too long, didn't you?
Kazran: I'm sorry.
Abigail: Hoarding my days, like an old miser.
- Abigail: We've had so many Christmas Eves, Kazran. I think it's time for Christmas Day.
- Amy: They really love their snowmen around here, don't they? I've counted about 20!
The Doctor: Yeah, I've been busy!
- The Doctor: There's a moon that's made of actual honey. Well, not actual honey, and it's not actually a moon. And technically it's alive, and a bit carnivorous, but there are some lovely views!
Rory: Yeah. Great. Thanks...
- The Doctor: Everything's got to end some time, otherwise nothing would ever get started.
- Rory: Your phone was ringing. Someone called
Marilyn. Actually sounds like the Marilyn!
The Doctor: Tell her I'll phone her back. And that was never a real chapel!
- Amy: Where are they? Kazran and Abigail?
The Doctor: Off on a little trip, I should think.
The Doctor: Christmas.
The Doctor: Yeah, Christmas.
Halfway out of the dark.
||DVD & Blu-ray
Doctor Who - A Christmas Carol
Buy DVD online: Amazon
Buy Blu-ray online: Amazon
Written by: Steven Moffat
Directed by: Toby Haynes
First transmitted on: Saturday 25th December 2010
Running Time: 61 minutes
- Kazran/Elliot Sardick (Michael Gambon)
- Abigail Pettigrew (Katherine Jenkins)
- Adult Kazran (Danny Horn)
- Young Kazran (Laurence Belcher)
- Pilot (Leo Bill)
- Co-Pilot (Micah Balfour)
- Old Benjamin (Steve North)
- Boy & Benjamin (Bailey Pepper)
- Servant (Tim Plester)
- Eric (Nick Malinowski)
- Isabella (Laura Rogers)
- Old Isabella (Megg Wynn-Owen)